The basis of the generated report is always an OpenSQL statement. This can be either entered manually, or can be developed with Hovitaga Report Generator. Many user friendly features make the development and testing of the query quick and easy. Table joins, subqueries can be automatically generated with the Linked Query Assistant, the field list can be created with the Field Selection Wizard.
One of the most interesting features is that the SQL statement can be executed and the result is displayed immediately. Developers can test and optimize the SQL query for rapid prototyping, and when the query is ready, a standard SAP report can be generated based on it. The generated report will take over the field structure and selection criteria of the SQL command.
Developers no longer need to manually implement the following code, since all these are automatically generated with a few clicks:
- definition of selection screens
- type declaration
- data declaration
- programming of the UI (ALV grid or tree)
- declaration of event handler class and methods
- creation of a global structure in the data dictionary or a local structure in the report
Developers can choose which ALV control to use:
- class based ALV grid (cl_gui_alv_grid)
- class based SALV table (cl_salv_table)
- class based ALV tree (cl_gui_alv_tree)
- function module based ALV grid (reuse_alv_grid_display_lvc)
Having all the options above, every developer can find the control that is the most comfortable for him/her, regardless of age, experience or skill level.
Depending on the generation settings, 200-1000+ lines of ABAP code can be generated in a few minutes. This can save from a few hours to a day of development time depending on the complexity of the report.
The generated report is:
- fully compliant with the SAP developer guidelines (naming conventions etc.)
- well commented, easy to read
- easy to extend, enhance
- follows the standard SAP software development lifecycle (can be added to packages and transport requests)
- creation of a report in the repository
- creation of a screen, GUI status and GUI title
- adding these development objects to a package and to a transport request
- generation of a transaction that calls the report